3D printing: how does it work?
We turn your digital 3D model into a tangible object. We search for the most suitable 3D printing solution with the right combination of technology, material and finishing.
3D printing opens a world of possibilities. Small objects custom made for your application: it can now be done at a fraction of the cost of traditional production methods. Or, a lot faster: you have your product in hand in a matter of days. Or, for more complex objects: With a digital 3d model, prototypes, technical components, models,... can be produced without having to take into account the limits of traditional techniques (milling, turning, drilling,...).
In addition to prototypes and one-off parts, also the production of (small) series of end products is becoming more economical. And certainly in case of personalization of products, 3D printing is the solution.
- Manufacturing industry
- Consumer products/electronics
Each 3D printed object has its own specific function, and thus requires a specific material. A technical part of a machine can be printed in plastic (faster, cheaper, different colors available), while in other cases, metal will be more suitable. Some models or prototypes must be visually strong, while other models are only used to fit a shape or size.
Most common 3D printing materials:
- ABS – Strong, functional, size accurate, print layers are visible, fast delivery, different colors
- PC – Stronger than ABS, functional, size accurate, print layers are visible, fast delivery, black
- PLA – slightly less strong than ABS, ecological, functional, size accurate, print layers are visible, fast delivery, different colors
- Flexible plastic – Shore A98, functional, print layers are visible, fast delivery, black
- Polyamide (nylon) – strong, functional, flexible, fine details, light sandy surface texture, cheap
- Resin/epoxy – suitable for visual models with limited functionality, smooth surface, fine details
- Photopolymer – very fine details (print in layers of 16 µm), rubber-like materials with variation in flexibility
- Sandstone – full colour, only suitable for visual models, light sandy surface
- Metal – mechanical properties similar to conventional metal parts but more complex forms are possible, various metals
- Ceramics – food safe, heat resistant, minimum 3 mm wall thickness
Post processing: Surface smoothening, wire tapping, drilling, coloring, gluing,...
Delivery time (excl. shipping):
- ABS, PC, PLA, Flex (up to 300 x 300 x 550 mm): 1-5 working days
- Other plastics: 5-10 working days
- Metals: per case
Minimum wall thickness (standard): 1 mm
Format 3D file: .stl (preferred), .obj, vrml, .wml,. skp and most CAD formats
For small, one-time assignments we charge a minimum price of 35 Euro excl VAT.
Examples of 3D prints
Below you will find a selection of our Portfolio of 3d printed objects. Get inspired!
Order your 3D print
Formando can print your digital model in 3D. Send us your file indicating the desired material, number and finishing. We send you a quotation and start printing after confirmation.